Code of ConductDRC’s Code of Conduct contains the values and rules that DRC and its staff shall act by to uphold and safe-guard the necessary standards of conduct and to avoid misconduct.
How to file a complaint for suspected misconduct?
1. Through DRC’s in-country Code of Conduct Reporting Mechanism.
Contact details are available in-country, please visit the local country-pages to find contact info. The report/complaint may be submitted in English or in any of the country’s official languages.
2. Online by completing this form (only English available)
3. Via e-mail to [email protected]
The report/complaint may be submitted in English or in any major language
What to report?
- Corruption (fraud, theft and other forms of dishonesty)
- Breaches of confidentiality
- Sexual exploitation and abuse
- Failure to ensure staff safety
- Harassment, bullying and verbal abuse
Who can report?
- People participating in DRC’s actions (“beneficiaries”)
- Other people directly affected by policies and actions of DRC and its staff
- Partners and their staff (humanitarian partners, contractors and authorities)
- DRC staff
This is not a hotline. If an imminent breach of DRC’s Code of Conduct constitutes a serious threat to a person’s life or welfare or to DRC’s integrity, reputation or assets, the witness(es) are encouraged to bring it to the immediate attention of the management level or national authority capable of preventing it.
Why is it called a Code of Conduct Reporting Mechanism?
The name distinguishes it from other complaints mechanisms by defining its scope. Moreover, the reporting person may not necessarily be a victim of wrongdoing her/himself but simply wish to assist DRC by bringing a serious DRC matter to its knowledge.
Misuse and Prevention Measures
Eligibility under the formal mechanism
This mechanism only applies to serious breaches of DRC’s Code of Conduct, which, if verified, could lead to sanctions against staff or partners. Examples include abuse of position, sexual exploitation and abuse, fraud, corruption, theft etc.
Minor breaches should be raised informally with the person in question or his or her line manager. However, if this does not lead to a resolution, or the matter cannot be raised at the appropriate level, it can be raised through the formal mechanism.
The following categories of reports/complaints are not accepted under the formal Code of Conduct Reporting Mechanism:
- Operational complaints (must be submitted through the in-country feedback/complaints mechanism for non-sensitive complaints)
- Reports/complaints about matters unrelated to DRC
- Reports/complaints regarding interpretation of DRC’s terms of employment (must be submitted to the head of Human Resources)
- Reports/complaints regarding staff management (must be submitted to the relevant senior manager above the implicated level(s))